Fort Hood incident a “horrific outburst of violence”, suspect identified

Posted By: The Ski Channel on November 5, 2009 2:07 pm

The latest update from the tragic Ft. Hood shootings today in Texas, which President Obama has called a “horrific outburst of violence”, are the following: The dead gunman has been identified as Major Malik Nadal Hasan age 39 or 40.

The shootings occured at 2 separate locations. From MSNBC: “Emergency Services officials at Fort Hood said the incident began about 1:30 p.m. CT (2:30 ET) when at least one gunman opened fire in the Soldiers Readiness Processing Center and Howze Theater on the west side of the base.

A spokesman for the base, Sgt. Major Jamie Posten, said the processing center was where soldiers “cycle through as they prepare to deploy.”

Retired Army Col. Greg Schannep, an aide to Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, who was on the post to attend a graduation service, told the base newspaper, The Fort Hood Sentinel, that he heard “three or four volleys of shots, with eight to 12 shots in each volley.”

“Initially, I thought it was a training exercise,” he said. But then, “a soldier came running past me and said, ‘Sir, there is someone shooting.’

“As he ran past me, I saw blood on his back,” Schannep told the base paper. “I don’t think he even knew he had been shot.”

 

Comments