Man stuck on chair lift lights money on fire to get noticed

Posted By: The Ski Channel on February 17, 2010 12:49 pm

German skier Dominik Podlosky, 22 years old, found himself in a scary situation recently. He was stranded on a chair lift. (“Frozen”, anyone?) The lift shut down for the day, leaving Dominik alone on the chair in -1 degree F temperatures.

Luckily, Dominik served in the military, so he was able to use techniques he learned while serving to stave off hypothermia. However, his limbs went numb and he kept falling asleep. He “thought about jumping down, but then [he'd] have probably broken both legs and would have frozen to death”. He did not have a phone on him.

Ironically, what saved his life were money and a cigarette lighter. Smoking saved his life…interesting. He began lighting the contents of his wallet on fire with his cigarette lighter, and ski-run cleaning crew members saw the light from his last 20 euro note ablaze.

Dominik was taken to a hospital where he was treated for hypothermia, and then released. He took the train home that night. He is thinking of suing, however a spokesman for the ski area said the lift clearly stated it was not meant to be ridden down.

 

 

Comments