The 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver and Whistler featured blazing highs and a whole lot of firsts.
Here are some of our favorite 2010 Games facts:
1. Bode Miller became only the fourth man to ever win five Alpine Skiing medals at the Olympic Games
2. Billy Demong became the first American man to win an Olympic gold medal in a Nordic ski event.
3. Park City-resident Steve Holcomb’s bobsled crew became the first American foursome to win Olympic gold since 1948.
4. American Seth Wescott is the only man to win two Olympic gold medals in SBX.
5. Wescott is also only the fourth American athlete to win consecutive gold medals in a single event.
6. Miller won a complete set of medals at Whistler—a bronze, silver and gold. He is only the second man to ever do this at an Olympic Games in Alpine Skiing.
7. The Dave Murray downhill course on which Lindsey Vonn won her first Olympic gold medal was deemed by the athlete to be the “bumpiest (she’d) ever skied in (her) entire career…”
8. American Johnny Spillane won the first Nordic event Olympic medal (on Valentine’s Day) for the U.S. since 1976.
9. The U.S. Nordic Combined athletes also won more Olympic medals at one Games than ever before.
10. USSA athletes won six of the USA’s nine gold medals at the 2010 Games. That’s two thirds of the Olympic golds!