LAHTI, Finland — Norway’s Magnus Moan was looking for retribution Friday, winning a World Cup in Finland fresh from the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Moan was followed in second place by Finland’s Hannu Manninen, and Tino Edelmann of Germany was third.
“The Olympic Winter Games were very disappointing for me, and last week, I was also sick and I wasn’t able to train. I was curious about my shape, and I am happy that I have won this race,” Moan said. “Under certain aspects, it was my revenge against Hannu Manninen who beat me at the 2007 Sapporo World Championships.”
On the finish line, Moan outran Manninen and Edelmann by 2.3 and 7.2 seconds.
With his tenth place, Jason Lamy Chappuis won the 2010 FIS Nordic Combined Overall World Cup title. With 995 points, the French skier cannot be caught.
Taylor Fletcher (Steamboat Springs, CO) led the way for a group of four athletes competing at the World Cup, finishing 43rd. Nick Hendrickson (Park City, UT) was right behind Fletcher in 44th, Alex Miller (Steamboat Springs, CO) was 50th and Bryan Fletcher (Steamboat Springs, CO) was 51st.
The nordic combined World Cup continues Saturday in Finland.
FIS Nordic Combined World Cup
Lahti, Finland – March 5, 2010
1. Magnus Moan, Norway (14/2) 25:20.3
2. Hannu Manninen, Finland (11/3) +2.3
3. Tino Edelmann, Germany (7/7) +7.2
4. Mario Stecher, Austria (2/26) +20.7
5. Felix Gottwald, Austria (37/1) +26.2
43. Taylor Fletcher, Steamboat Springs, CO (52/33) +4:06.5
44. Nick Hendrickson, Park City, UT (54/36) +4:29.4
50. Alex Miller, Steamboat Springs, CO (44/48) +4:56.0
51. Bryan Fletcher, Steamboat Springs, CO (49/50) +5:41.6
# # #