Congrats to Eric Willett! The rippin rider from Breckenridge, CO has now added a gold medal to his collection. Last month, he racked up a silver at Aspen’s Winter X Games 14 for Snowboard Slopestyle, and now he has gold. He wowed audiences today with his performance in Tignes.
“I wasn’t really landing my tricks in practice, but somehow it all clicked and came together for me in the final,” Willett said about his win. After his second run put him in the lead, he said, “I had no idea what I was going to do, and I’m so stoked right now. The course is perfect and the riding level is insane.”
It was Eric’s second run that gave him a solid lead, impressing judges with a backside 720, frontside double cork 1080 and switch backside 900.
Nabbing silver was Sage Kotsenburg of Park City, UT and Marko Grilc from Slovakia took home bronze. “Winter X Games Europe has lived up to my expectations,” said Grilc. “It is so great to see the biggest event in action sports come to Europe.”
Here are the final results:
Winter X Games Europe
Tignes, France – Mar. 11, 2010
Men’s Snowboard Slopestyle Finals
1. Eric Willett – Breckenridge, Colo., USA 91.00
2. Sage Kotsenburg – Park City, Utah, USA 85.33
3. Marko Grilc – Ljubljana, Slovakia 83.66
4. Stephan Maurer – Zikers, Switzerland 82.66
5. Chas Guldemond – Reno, Nev., USA 70.66
6. Christian Haller – Zernez, Switzerland 67.66
7. Travis Rice – Jackson Hole, WY, USA 50.33
8. Iouri Podladtchikov – Zurich, Switzerland 49.33