Here at The Ski Channel, mountain sports are our passion, but we also appreciate many other sports that go in the mountain towns we cover. With that being said, we’d like to recognize that universities that learned yesterday that they will be participating in the 2010 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. The tournament begins this Thursday, and, as we type, many fans around the country can be found scribbling out their picks on their brackets. Five of the 65 teams that were announced yesterday are from ski resort towns, so check them out below and enjoy the games and the Madness that makes March such a great month!!
1) University of Washington: Located in Seattle, which is close to Stevens Pass Ski Area and Crystal Mountain. The Huskies are the 11th seed in the Midwest Region, and will play the #6 seed Marquette in the first round on Thursday at 4:20pm PT at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA.
2) University of Montana: Located in Missoula, which is also home to Snowbowl Ski & Summer Resort. The Grizzlies are the 14th seed in the East Region, and will play the #3 seed New Mexico in the first round on Thursday at 7:50pm MT at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA.
3) University of Vermont: Located in Burlington, which is close to Stowe Mountain Resort and Smugglers’ Notch Resort. The Catamounts are the #16 seed in the West Region, and will have the pleasure of playing #1 seed Syracuse on Friday at 9:30pm ET at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY.
4) Gonzaga University: Located in Spokane, Washington, which is an hour away from Forty Nine Degrees North Mountain. The Bulldogs are the #8 seed in the West Region, and will take on #9 seed Florida State University on Friday at 4:10pm PT at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY.
5) Utah State University: Located in Logan, Utah, which is home to Beaver Mountain Ski Resort and is also close to Wolf Creek Ski Resort. The Aggies are the #12 seed in the South Region, and will take on #5 seed Texas A&M on Friday at 2:00pm PT at the Spokane Veterans Arena in Spokane, WA.