Red Bull has announced the 5th inception of the world’s most exciting adventure race, the Red Bull X-Alps. The event pits 30 hand-selected athletes on a non-stop race through the Alps to the Mediterranean Sea, with just a paraglider and hiking boots to help them along 535 miles of challenging mountain terrain.
The event is set to get underway July 17th, 2011, but registration is already open with a deadline of Sept. 30, 2010.
Kicking off in Salzburg, Austria and finishing in Monaco, racers will navigate through eight turnpoints in Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France. Athletes will see their every move tracked by advanced technology and will be broadcast to an audience of millions.
* Athletes travel only by flying with their paragliders or by foot.
* A paraglider, harness, rescue parachute, helmet, emergency signal rocket, reflector belt and tracking device must be carried at all times.
* Athletes may chose any route they like, but must pass all turnpoints.
* Each athlete has only one supporter to look after them.
* Travel through tunnels that connect valleys are prohibited.
* International Visual Flight Rules (VFR) air regulations must be obeyed.
* The race stops 48 hours after the winner arrives in goal.