Munich 2018 bid denied public funding, proposed Olympic ski venues still threatened

Posted By: The Ski Channel on August 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Problems continue to mount for the Munich 2018 Winter Olympic bid as now the committee appears to be facing a financial shortfall.

Munich’s proposal has had another setback after a report that the 2018 committee was told Friday there will be no public funds used to help with the bidding process.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told the German Press Agency DPA that government money for the cause hadn’t been allocated.

Munich 2018 CEO Willy Bogner, one of the stars of the upcoming Ski Channel film “The Story, had prompted for officials to make public funds available to help meet the projected $41.8M budget.

This latest setback follows a report last month where Bavarian farmers were refusing to make their lands available near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the intended host venue of the Alpine ski competitions. The lands are considered vital towards Munich’s Olympic prospects. Most recently, climber Reinhold Messner, who owns three mountain farms, has joined the group of resistant farmers saying they hadn’t been included in the planning process.

Munich is of course one of three finalist cities vying to host the 2018 Winter Games as well as Annecy (France) and PyeongChang (Republic of Korea). 

 

Comments