The National Weather Service in Pocatello has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow and blowing snow which is in effect from 5PM this afternoon to 5PM MST Wwednesday.
* Snow Accumulations: 8 to 15 inches of snow in mountains above 7000 ft with 6 to 10 inches below 7000 ft.
* Timing: Late Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday.
* Locations Include: Malad, Oakley, City of Rocks, Connor Summit, Sweetzer Summit, Malad Summit, Stanley, Clayton, Copper Basin, Hailey, Ketchum, Sun Valley, Bellevue, Galena Summit, Smiley Creek Lodge, Arco, Challis, Mackay and Willow Creek Summit
* Winds: South winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts of 20 to 25 mph Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. South southwest winds Wednesday 20 to 25 mph with gusts in excess of 35 mph especially in the mountains.
* Impacts: Snow…moderate to heavy at times…combined with blowing snow will make traveling conditions hazardous. Road closures are possible. Back country skiers and snowmobile operators should be prepared for heavy snowfall in addition to the current snow pack.
A winter storm warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected. Significant amounts of snow and strong winds are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.