Jan. 12 – A favorable La Nina weather pattern continues to sift fresh powder atop an already 63-inch deep base at Crested Butte Mountain Resort (CBMR), ensuring legendary conditions continue through the popular Martin Luther King (MLK) weekend. The resort is reporting 200 inches of snowfall to date for the 2010-2011 season; this is only the third time CBMR has recorded 200 inches by January since 1989-1999 (the other two seasons were 1996-1997 and 2007-2008). And, the extended weather forecast is calling for more snow over the holiday weekend.
All 16 lifts and 105 trails (totaling 1,167 acres) are open and boasting exceptional skiing and riding conditions. The resort opened 3rd Bowl and the remaining terrain in photo: business.transworld.net
West Side at the beginning of this week. Crews have begun control work on The Peak and expect to have that terrain open soon, although a date has not yet been confirmed. In addition, the Superpipe is open for the season and the park crew is busy putting the finishing touches on the final jump features in the Cascade Terrain Park.
With the new terrain added this week, CBMR is nearly 100 percent open, or as the locals like to say, “the resort is open wall to wall.”
“The Weather Channel recently named Crested Butte one of ‘America’s Top 10 Snowiest Cities’ and Mother Nature is clearly in agreement,” said Daren Cole, CBMR’s VP of sales and marketing. “Even more fitting, our legendary conditions herald the celebration of 50 years of skiing and riding at CBMR. It’s a great time to be here.”
Celebrating 50 years of skiing and riding all season long:
CBMR’s 50th celebration events continue throughout the season with the resurrection of time-honored events (many involving costumes -it IS Crested Butte, after all), community activities and the opportunity to honor prominent figures from Crested Butte’s past. 50th Celebration winter highlights will include:
- A Winter Chainless Downhill Bike Championship
- A Bump ‘n Jump competition
- Gelandesprung Ski Jump on Closing Day (Apr. 3)
- A “through the ages” movie series featuring films shot in Crested Butte over the past 50 years
- Ongoing speaker series: life in Crested Butte over the past 50 years
· Passholders Ski Free in January:From Jan. 1 – Feb. 16, 2011, passholders from other resorts can ski for free when booking lodging at The Elevation Hotel & Spa or in other CBMR properties. www.skicb.com
· Parents Ski Free in January:Purchase a multi-day child or young adult lift ticket and receive a free single day adult lift ticket free. Lodging and lift ticket purchase required; available Jan. 4 – Feb. 17, 2011, www.skicb.com
· $599 Fly, Ski and Stay: Offer includes a roundtrip flight into Gunnison/Crested Butte Regional airport (GUC), three days of skiing or riding at CBMR and a four-night stay at The Grand Lodge. $599 Fly, Ski and Stay deal must be booked between Jan. 1 and 31, 2011 for travel between Jan. 2 and Feb. 10, 2011. The offer is available for $699 between Feb. 11 and Apr. 4, 2011 (with the exception of Mar. 12 – 24, 2011). Prices are per person based upon double occupancy and taxes and fees are not included. Guests must fly into GUC on departure and return flights; this offer applies for select destinations based upon available airfare. Call 800-600-2803 for information or reservations.