Despite blustery cold temperatures, local J4 “Jones” racers from the Killington Winter Sports Club/Killington Mountain School’s alpine team turned out in force Sunday at Pico Mountain, bringing home the coveted Mid-Vermont Council team trophy, the Beanpot, for the third time out of four races so far this season.
Ava Mattson, of Bridgewater, took silver for the girls, while Marina Rotella, of Rutland, took bronze. For the boys, Spencer Smith, a full-time Killington Mountain School student-athlete from Woodstock, won the giant slalom, Ian Clarke, of Pipersville, Penn., took second and local Will Coen, of Stockbridge, finished in sixth. Overall, KWSC/KMS athletes owned 14 of the top-30 spots for the day.
“The Beanpot is a great way to drive ‘team’ competition in an individual sport and given the history of the ‘Pot’ all the kids are proud to keep it at their club,” said Mike Cahill, head J4/5 coach for KWSC/KMS. “The fact that it’s full of candy when presented each week doesn’t hurt either. The kids are training hard to ensure the Beanpot stays in Killington for the rest of the season!”
Smith is undefeated so far this season, having won every run except during the one race when he “skied up” to compete with J3’s.
“The team showed a strong performance with attacking runs from Spencer and Ian to pull away from the rest of the field,” said Cahill. “Will put two solid, consistent runs down to get his result, possibly the best of his season.”
Mattsson had “safe” but fast runs, according to Cahill, to get to her second place finish after a massive crash at Okemo’s GS race last weekend. “She’s got a whole other level of speed when she’s going all out,” said Cahill. Rotella put a great second run down to earn her best result of the season.
Final results from KWSC/KMS racers include:
(2) Ava Mattsson, Bridgewater, Vt.
(3) Marina Rotella, Rutland, Vt.
(7) Taylor Dobyns, Duxbury, Mass.
(8) Raichle Johnson, Pittsfield, Vt.
(2) Noa Schwartz, Brookline Mass.
(22) Tory Dobyns, Duxbury, Mass.
(27) Olivia Lawler, Andover, Mass.
(29) Mikayla Stolar, Hampden, Mass. (finished 2nd for J5s)
(31) Tess Queirolo, Farmington, Conn. (finished 3rd for J5s)
(54) Barbara Carey, North Chittenden, Vt.
(1) Spencer Smith, Woodstock, Vt.
(2) Ian Clarke, Pipersville, Penn.
(6) William Coen, Stockbridge, Vt.
(9) Malcolm Mead, Morristown, N.J.
(11) Joseph Salisbury-Jennings, Mendon, Vt.
(30) Andrew Desino, Greenwich, Conn.
(61) Joe Bianchi, Killington, Vt.