A unique Sun Valley, Idaho festival boasts tremendous schedule of events, competitions, record prize money, music, and culture celebrating its second year!
With 300 days of annual sunshine and situated in the beautiful Wood River Valley, the Sun Valley area is the perfect setting for the second annual Sun Valley Nordic Festival. Building upon the tremendous success of the first festival in 2010, the Sun Valley community is proud to host its second 9-day festival in 2011 from Saturday, January 29 through Sunday, February 6. Offered through a partnership of more than thirty local organizations, this year’s festival promises an even richer array of cross country skiing competition, local culture, music and fun for skiers and their families of all ages and abilities.
The Second Annual Sun Valley Nordic Festival celebrates Sun Valley, Idaho as NordicTownUSA, one of the most diverse and rich Nordic destinations in the world. The area offers more than 200 kilometers of groomed cross country ski trails for both classic and skating technique, lodging amenities ranging from Galena Lodge to The Sun Valley Club, local programs like all female VAMPS, and a history and culture rich in its Nordic history and cultural amenities. Head Coach, Rick Kapala, of the Olympic Development Team of the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation even commented, “The Norwegian Olympic Team comes to train here, why don’t you?” The area has recently launched NordicTownUSA.com to better capture the area and its Nordic offerings and to complement the festival’s web page, svnordicfestival.com.
The lineup for this year’s festival is packed with new activities and cross-country fun. The first day explodes with Ski the Rails, a non competitive community ski tour, a USSSA Snowshoe Challenge, and the Galena & Trails Benefit, a night to celebrate the community lodge and trail system. Through the week, visitors can experience the fun and funky Galena Loppett, Apres Ski Nordic delights at the Smiley Creek Lodge, a Twilight Ski and Fireside Social at the Sun Valley Nordic Center, ski clinics up and down the valley, notable Nordic speakers, the Sun Valley Nordic Hall of Fame, and Thursday Night downtown Ketchum Nordic Night and Co-Ed Sprint Relays. Don’t miss this night of cross-country sprint races with prize money nestled in a downtown block of Ketchum and punctuated by art, food, music by the Pimps of Joytime, and a snowshoe dance competition hosted by the Sun Valley Center for the Arts. The week culminates in the esteemed Boulder Mountain Tour and Half Boulder over the weekend, a 32-kilometer cross country race boasting up to one thousand participants every year.
For more information on this year’s 2011 Sun Valley Nordic festival, visit www.svnordicfestival.com or to learn more about NordicTownUSA, visit www.NordicTownUSA.com. A $49 9-day pass is available at local retail outlets for purchase to experience all of the area’s 200k of trails and lodging and other specials can be found from the Sun Valley resort and other area providers at svnordicfestival.com.
Updates Schedule of Events & Activities
The complete list of activities and contact information at www.svnordicfestival.com
Saturday, January 29, 2011
BCRD Ski The Rails/Downtown Hailey Party
Sun Valley Snowshoe Challenge
15th Annual Galena & Trails Winter Benefit
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Monday, January 31, 2011
Alturas Lake Ski and Apres Ski at Smiley Creek Lodge
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Lunchtime Ski Clinics at Galena Lodge
Sun Valley Twilight Ski and Fireside Social
Backcountry Film Festival at Liberty Theatre
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Wildlife Snowshoe Walks – Galena Lodge
Nordic Experiences with Peter Ashley and Sun Valley Nordic Hall of Fame
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Snowshoe with a Ranger at Galena lodge
Lunchtime Ski Clinics at Sawtooth National Recreation Area
Ketchum Nordic night of Music and Competition featuring live music by the Pimps of Joytime
Friday, February 4, 2011
SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour Pre-Race Expo
Snowshoe Adventure with the Idaho Conservation League
Best of Banff Film Festival at NexStage Theater
Saturday, February 5, 2011
SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour
SWIX Half Boulder
Best of Banff Film Festival at NexStage Theater
SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour Awards Presentations at Sun Valley’s Limelight Room
Sunday, February 6, 2011
SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour Demo
1. The $49 9-day all access trail pass. This trail pass offers unlimited access from January 29th, 2011 through February 6th, 2011 to the more than 200k of groomed cross-country ski trails managed by the Blaine County Recreation District and the Sun Valley Nordic Center that run up and down the Wood River Valley in the Sun Valley area. $49 passes can be purchased during the festival or before from the Sun Valley Nordic Center, Galena Lodge, the Sawtooth National Recreation Area Headquarters, Backwoods Mountain Sports, Sturtevant’s in Hailey, and the Elephant’s Perch.
2. The 200k Trails Challenge – We invite you to accept the “Trails Challenge” this year and try to ski 200km in Sun Valley this season! You can ski every trail or ski your favorites over and over to reach a total of 200km! Those that reach the goal will be entered in a drawing for prizes awarded both at the end of the season, and at the Boulder Mountain Tour Awards Ceremony on February 5th. More info and a tally sheet available at svnordicfestival.com.
3. NordicTownUSA.com – Nordic Town USA aka Sun Valley / Ketchum / Wood River Valley, Idaho introduces a brand new website for all things Nordic. www.NordicTownUSA.com brings all the events, destinations, activities, programs and services available into one easy to find location. This new year-round resource is the place to start for finding the what, when and where for Nordic skiing and related sports in the Wood River Valley. The website is available for the listing of events, organizations and activities that enhance the opportunities to enjoy the Nordic skiing experience in Sun Valley. Use the contact information at www.NordicTownUSA.com to submit a request for inclusion.
4. $13,000 in Prize Money – The SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour along with the Sun Valley Nordic Festival has secured with the help of the City of Sun Valley, Idaho a substantial prize money package. The nearly $13,000 in prize money will be paid to the top ten places in the men’s and women’s races for the 2011 SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour as well as the second annual Thursday night co-ed sprint relays in downtown Ketchum, Idaho. The always popular SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour is the centerpiece of the nine-day Sun Valley Nordic Festival highlighting the fantastic Nordic skiing opportunities in the Ketchum / Sun Valley area. This year the BMT will feature a non-competitive Half Boulder of 15km as well as an expanded field for the elite skiers. There is still a maximum cap on the total number of elite wave skiers of one hundred men and one hundred women. The Sun Valley Nordic Festival will run from Saturday January 29th through Sunday February 6th with the SWIX Boulder Mountain Tour being staged on the 5th. Visit www.BoulderMountainTour.com to register for the Boulder or Half Boulder or visit www.SVNordicFestival.com for more general information.
5. Lodging and Other Specials – Special lodging rates for the Sun Valley Nordic Festival are being offered by:
Best Western Kentwood Lodge
Bald Mountain Inn
Sun Valley Resort
High Country Resort Properties
Knob Hill Inn
Partners in the Sun Valley Nordic Festival
Backwoods Mountain Sports
Blaine County Historical Museum
Blaine County Recreation District
Boulder Mountain Tour Ltd.
Girls on the Run
Hailey Chamber of Commerce
Ketchum Sun Valley Historical Society
Sawtooth National Forest Avalanche Center
Smiley Creek Lodge
Sturtevants Mountain Outfitters
Sun Valley / Ketchum Chamber and Visitors Bureau
Sun Valley Nordic Center
Sun Valley Running
Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation
The City of Sun Valley
The Community Library
The Elephants Perch
The Idaho Conservation League
The Sun Valley Center
Go to SVNordicFestival.com for full details