So much snow during this incredible winter that Blackcomb Mountain’s operations have been extended to May 30, 2011 to accommodate incredible demand and excellent skiing and snowboarding conditions. They have a 146 inch base and received 585 inches of snow. 47 days of skiing and riding remain in the season at Whistler Blackcomb, offering one of the longest seasons in North America.
“This winter has been incredible for skiers and snowboarders but people are definitely ready for spring,” says Doug MacFarlane, Whistler Blackcomb mountain operations manager. “Goggle tans, Gaper Days and Slush Cups are all classic elements of spring skiing and riding and we haven’t been able to enjoy any of these with the mid-winter conditions that keep pummeling the mountains. The decision to keep Blackcomb Mountain open one week longer so we can all enjoy some of the best spring conditions we’ve ever had; it’s a no brainer.”
When spring does arrive it will be celebrated in style in Whistler with gorgeous conditions, great deals and fun events.
Photo: Paul Morrison
- Eleven centimeters, three inches away (as of Wednesday, April 13) from this season becoming the second snowiest season on record. Current cumulative snowfall this season: 1483cm (585 in.). Second snowiest season on recorded: 1494cm (588 in.) which was last season.
- A snow base of almost four metres, the spring skiing and riding will be the best in years.
- The TELUS World Ski and Snowboard Festival takes place April 15-24.
- World Skiing Invitational takes place Wednesday, April 20 through Sunday, April 24 with the Superpipe finals taking place on Sunday, April 24. Watch future Olympians compete.
- Whistler will be testing their new season pass mobile i phone and android app during TELUS. Cool stuff, click the link
- EDGE Cards: ski/ride the rest of this season, unlimited days, and receive six days next season for $398 CDN (plus tax) through the spring EDGE Card offer, if purchased by May 6.
- 2011.2012 Season Pass: ski/ride unlimited days this spring for $49 CDN (plus tax) by putting $199 CDN towards next season’s pass, paying the balance in the fall.
- Ski and Stay packages are available from $86 CDN per person, per night through April 24.