The Rahlves’ Banzai Tour came to a close last weekend at Sugar Bowl Resort with a bang. With perfect conditions of clear skies a two-foot powder blanket from the mid-week storm, the Sugar Bowl racers zoomed down the steep and twisted slope of the Silver Belt Gully course. Filled with tight corners, jumps and moguls, the insane, rock-lined slope was originally made famous during the Silver Belt races of the 1940s. Following the two-month race stops of Kirkwood, Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows, the Sugar Bowl stop was the fourth and final stop of the race tour.
Full speed ahead at the Rahlve’s Banzai Tour | Photo: Rahlve’s Banzai Tour images
Prize money of a total of $30,000 was distributed to the winners during the awards ceremony at Sugar Bowl Resort’s Judah Lodge. This year’s race on Sunday was dominated by John Bochenek, who took the title for Men’s Ski Overall and the Sugar Bowl Banzai stop. Kyle Coxon won the Super Final but placed second for the Overall with John Lange following in third. Coxon was awarded $5,000 for the win.
Ready to race | Photo: Rahlve’s Banzai Tour images
The Banzai snowboarding was just as intense. Like Olympic and World Cup skier Bode Miller, brother Chelone Miller had an epic podium finish for first after dominating both the Sugar Bowl stop and the overall men’s snowboard tour title. As for the women’s snowboarding, Kiana Putman won the title for the Sugar Bowl stop while Casey Lucas was crowned overall women’s snowboard tour champion.
Podium winners of women | Photo: Rahlve’s Banzai Tour images
Shannon Rahlves, triathlete and sister of the ski legend and event mastermind Daron Rahlves, showed that athleticism runs in the family as she won both the women’s ski win and the overall women’s ski tour title. Although, Daron Rahlve’s could not defend his Super Final crown due to a minor injury he struggled with at the Squaw Valley stop of the Banzai tour.
Celebration of a successful tour on the podium | Photo: Rahlve’s Banzai Tour images
Overall tour top finishers:
• Men’s Ski Overall- John Bochenek, first; Kyle Coxon, second; John Lange, third
• Men’s Snowboard Overall- Chelone Miller, first; Lucas Dehmlow, second; Adam DeVargas, third
• Women’s Ski Overall- Shannon Rahlves, first; Shelly Robertson, second; Hannah Jermstad, third
• Women’s Snowboard Overall- Casey Lucas, first; Macy Price, second; Anna Weber, third
Sugar Bowl Banzai top finishers:
• Men’s ski- John Bochenek, first; Kyle Coxon, second; John Lange, third
• Men’s Snowboard- Chelone Miller, first; Sylvain Duclos, second; Lucas Dehmlow third
• Women’s Ski- Shannon Rahlves, first; Shelly Robertson, second; Hannah Jermstad, third